Tooth loss can be frustrating. They can be aesthetically unappealing due to the space left behind, and the inability to chew or bite. With recent advances in science and technology, you can replace missing teeth through dental implants.
Bayside dental implants are fabricated to successfully replace single or multiple teeth and ensure positive treatment outcomes.
An insight into dental implants
Dental implants are artificial prostheses inserted into your empty tooth sockets. These are titanium screws that mimic the tooth root providing anchorage to crowns, bridges, or dentures. The implants feel, and act like a real tooth and can last a lifetime.
The screws placed inside fuse with the underlying jawbone through a process called osseointegration.
Advantages of getting dental implants
Dental implants are widely used since they offer several benefits such as:
- Prevents bone loss
- Can last a lifetime if properly cared for
- Improves your oral health
- Enhances your self-confidence
- Enhances your masticatory functions
- Keeps adjacent teeth stable
- Prevents gum diseases
- Prevents facial sagging and premature aging
Ideal candidates for dental implants
You are considered an ideal candidate for dental implants if you have:
- One or multiple teeth missing
- Broken or decayed teeth beyond repair
- Do not wish for removable dentures
- Sufficient bone for support
Your dentist may recommend sinus augmentation, or bone grafting to encourage the growth of new and healthy bone tissue.
Getting dental implants
Getting dental implants requires several visits to your dentist.
The steps are as follows:
- Your dentist will numb the area around your missing tooth
- Holes will be drilled into your bone to create space for the implant screw
- Your dentist will then insert the titanium posts into the holes
- The implant fuses with the bone which may take several months
- When you come back after healing your dentist will take oral impressions and intraoral scans and send them to the lab
- Your lab technician fabricates your custom-made implant restorations and attaches them after the administration of anesthesia.
The durability of dental implants
Dental implants are durable prostheses that can last for a period of 10 to 30 years. However, this is possible through the following oral hygiene practices:
- Brush your teeth twice daily
- Floss regularly
- Visit your dentist twice a year for professional cleaning
- Avoid biting your nails
- Avoid chewing on hard objects wotpost
Dental implants aid in teeth replacement since they provide excellent anchorage to dental restorations like crowns, bridges, and dentures. Ensure you maintain good oral hygiene to increase the durability of the implants.