This article will discuss in full how to check the IP address on your computer. Why you need to know how to know the IP address of your computer? Because the IP address gives identity to your computer which is on a network.
Same is the case with your home address, IP address provides complete information on devices that are on the same network.
No IP address, the internet won't know where to send all the data you want, like email, download file, etc.
Knowing and checking the IP address is sometimes very necessary. Suppose you want to connect several computers on a network. Or if you want to do troubleshoot network, then you should be able to check the IP of the computer that is having a problem.
For those who don't know how to check the IP address of a computer, Gini Loh | the explanation
How to check the IP address on a computer or laptop
Here we will explain how to check the IP of a computer using the Windows operating system 10.
There are several ways to find out the IP address of your computer or laptop. Let's start with the easiest way to use User Interface, and not command line.
Check the IP of your computer or laptop using the User Interface
This first method is the easiest. You only need a few clicks of your mouse, and computer IP you can find out.
Let's get started:
- Click icon Start, then select the menu Settings
- After that, select Network & Internet, and in the menu on the left select the way you connect to the network (Wi-Fi or Ethernet)
- If you are connected via wi-fi, select Wi-Fi on the menu on the left, then click the network you are using and scroll down to the section Properties and you can see your computer's IP in the section IPv4 address
- If you are connected via an ethernet cable, select Ethernet in the menu on the left, then click the network you are signed into, and you can check the IP address of the computer in the section IPv4 address
Check the IP of your computer or laptop via the Command Line
The second way to find out your computer's IP is arguably cooler, because you are using command line.
Why is it said to be cooler? Because you will be like the hacker shown in the big screen movie typing some commands into the computer, and you will successfully check the IP address.
- Click icon Start, then type “command prompt“ or “cmd” (stands for command prompt)
- If you do it right, it will display a black background containing only a few lines of text (similar to the appearance in a hacker movie, hehehe).
- The next step to check the IP address is to enter the command “ipconfig” then press Enter
- Your IP address will appear, according to the way you are connected to the network
- In this example, we are connected via Wi-Fi, so that the IP address appears in the Wireless section which begins with IPv4 Address.
- If you are connected using ethernet, then your IPv4 Address will appear in the Ethernet section after entering the command “ipconfig”
How to find out the IP address on an OS other than Windows 10
From year to year, how to find out the IP address has not changed much, although the Windows operating system is always updated and new ones appear.
If you do not use Windows 10, do not worry!
You can use the second way, namely with command prompt. This method can certainly be used on Windows operating systems other than Windows 10 to find out the IP address of the computer.
It's easy? You don't need to be confused anymore if you want to check the IP address. You can style like a cool hacker, and show your friends how to find a computer or laptop IP.